Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Buckley Leaves the Big Tent

Bertrand Russell once wrote that "It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this." During this election, I have been repeatedly reminded of this quote (for example, every time I hear Sarah Palin talk). But the recent flight of a number of high-profile conservatives from the GOP's party line, and its fact-challenged talking points, gives me a modicum of hope. The most recent--and arguably the most spectacular--defection is William F. Buckley's son's endorsement of Obama. William F. Buckley was the kind of conservative I didn't always like, but that I could at least begrudgingly respect (although his affected blue blood accent still makes me cringe). It seems his son has carried his mantle forward. I will let him speak for himself by quoting his farewell to The National Review:

"So, I have been effectively fatwahed (is that how you spell it?) by the conservative movement, and the magazine that my father founded must now distance itself from me. But then, conservatives have always had a bit of trouble with the concept of diversity. The GOP likes to say it’s a big-tent. Looks more like a yurt to me."

No comments: